The New York County Medical Society
YOUR VOICE COUNTS IN ALBANY.
COME WITH US WEDNESDAY, MARCH 8. SPEAK OUT ON THE ISSUES.
Sign up today.
OVERVIEW: We welcome you on our bus at 6:20 a.m. (56 West 35th St.) or 6:35 a.m. (Park Ave. and 77th St.). Breakfast and discussion on board. We arrive and hear key NYS legislators and Health Department staff. We have lunch, then visit our Manhattan legislators in their offices. We’re back in Manhattan before 7:00 p.m.
KEY FACTS: You let us know which bus pickup spot you want. Or, you can drive or take the train. Your $50 covers round-trip travel, breakfast, lunch. (Students, residents: No charge.) You get a prearranged visit schedule. Your group has an experienced leader. You get background information in advance. And, you can get 3 CME credits.
TELL US YOUR PLAN!
Your name: _____________________________________________
Your title and organization: ________________________________________________
Your phone and email:_____________________________________________________
Your specialty: ______________________
Any dietary/mobility needs? _______________
Your bus pickup spot –
Do you want W 35th St (6:20 a.m.)______________________________
or Park & 77th (6:35 a.m.)_____________________________________
Or, do you plan to drive, or come by train? __________________________________
Support legislation that would let independently practicing physicians collectively negotiate patient terms with health insurance companies.
(A.4472, Gottfried / S.3663, Hannon)
- Support the Medical Liability Reform Act, which contains a range of reforms to bring down the exorbitant cost of medical liability insurance in our state. (S.4913, Schimminger)
- Oppose legislation that would increase lawsuits and medical liability premium costs for physicians. (A.3339, Weinstein/ S.4080, DeFrancisco)
- Support a requirement that those making “medical necessity” determinations practice the same specialty as the physician recommending treatment. (A.2539, Gottfried)
- Oppose the authorization of corporate-owned “retail” clinics. (They could disrupt independent medical decision-making and the doctor-patient relationship.) (A.958, Paulin)
- Support restrictions on e-cigarettes: Prohibit the use of these vapor products on school grounds and by school bus drivers. (A.516, Rosenthal/S.2543, Hannon)
Issues in the Governor’s 2017-18 Proposed Budget
- Support NYS budget funding to help pay physicians’ outstanding claims, for care of patients insured by Health Republic – the collapsed insurer.
- Oppose the Budget proposal that for physicians to receive Excess Medical Malpractice Insurance coverage, they must get an unwieldy, cumbersome “tax clearance.”
- Oppose the proposal that would inappropriately expand pharmacists’ and nurse practitioners’ scope of practice, by letting them enter into medication management protocols.
- Oppose the proposed creation of a Health Care Regulation Team that could consider changes in Scope of Practice laws, and could “demo” them without legislative approval.
- Oppose the repeal of the “Prescriber Prevails” provision that currently exists in Medicaid and Medicaid Managed Care. (Don’t set up more Prior Authorization requirements.)
The Morning Agenda
Welcome & Introductions
- Malcolm Reid, MD, MSSNY President
- Charles Rothberg, MD,President-Elect
- Thomas Madejski, MD, Vice-President
- Paul A. Pipia, MD, Chair, Legislative & Physician Advocacy Committee
- Brian Murray, MD, Vice-Chair, Legislative & Physician Advocacy Committee
- Gregory Pinto,MD, Commissioner, Commission on Governmental Relations
- Thomas Lee, MD, Assistant Commissioner, Commission on Governmental Relations
8:40-9:00 AM Legislative Update
Morris Auster, Esq.
9:00 AM Senate Majority Leader John J. Flanagan
9:15-10:00AM Health and Insurance Panel – How Can We Protect the Physician-Patient Relationship?
Senator Kemp Hannon, Chair, Senate Health Committee
Senator James Seward, Chair, Senate Insurance Committee
Assemblyman Richard Gottfried, Chair, Assembly Health Committee
Assemblyman Kevin Cahill, Chair, Assembly Insurance Committee
10:00-10:45 AM Update on DSRIP/Exchange
Jason Helgerson, Medicaid Director, New York State Department of Health
Troy Oechsner, Acting Executive Deputy Superintendent of Insurance (Invited)
- Assembly Majority Leader Joseph D. Morelle (Invited)
- Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie (invited)
The afternoon agenda: Small-group visits with our Manhattan legislators.